Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Do not Spoil Our Kids

I got this article from a friend and i find it very meaningfully. You can double click on the image and have a full view to read the article.

I will summaries some paragraph which will ring a bell to some parents or grandparents.

" As parents, we are all guilty at one time or another of protecting our children and forsaking the need to enforce the important value of discipline.

For example, my mother ( author's mum) has always believed that her grandchildren should eat every meal , regardless of the food placed in front of the child, so that the child does not go hungry . But what happens if the child choose not to eat the home cooked food provided for him / her?Fast food will be the alternative , so the child can still eat something and be full . The child then learns that if she throws a tantrum or refuses the home cooked food , she will be "rewarded" with fast food or whatever other food she prefers.
This resulted in one of her grandchildren solely eating fast food at every meal , such that when the family went on an outing , it had to be close to fast food restaurant to make it easy to buy food for her In the end, the child put on an unhealthy amount of weight but my mum did not mind , as long as the child was not hungry ."


This is part of the writing .
second part , the writer mentioned how parents unwillingly to sacrifice for their kid and how she discipline her children

"Too often , I have observed that other parents are unwillingly to sacrifice the movie tickets , present or treats they have bought for their children for the sake of their good acceptable behaviours. They argue that it would be a waste of money to do so . or insist that the kids will learn their lesson when they grow up.

Granted , it is difficult to enforce discipline and i am often guilty of this. Once of my son was planning to attend a concert, bu he was grounded by his father that day before for something he did. I appealed to my husband to let the child attend the concert anyway.

That was when i realise I was spoiling our my child. If he had been allowed to go , it would mean that his misdemeanour was of no consequence.

Initially, it was difficult for me to accept this as I wanted my son to enjoy the concert that he had been looking forward for a long time. It was also difficult for me to see any of my children being punished.

I had committed the logical fallacy of miscericoriam- an appeal to pity. As i do not like to see my children miserable, hungry or experiencing discomfort, I sometimes try top overwrite the punishment that my husband deals out to our children. Luckily for me, my husband stands by his beliefs and refuses to let any of four children get away with the blue murder. "

You can double click on the image and have a full view to read the article.

1 comment:

cairo's mommy said...

i read an article that says we can start using the rod when they turn 2. b4 that the kids are unable to comprehend the concept of punishment so no point beating them also.